Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Good Daddy

You know those days where you wake up and you can just feel that it isn't going to be a great day? Maybe you don't feel well or you have something troubling on your mind...or all of the above. Yesterday was one of those days for me. I woke up with a horrible headache - the kind that makes you feel almost nauseous. My morning routine seemed off: I was running late making lunches and getting the kids out of the door. And to top it all off we had a mountain of snow outside and it was snowing AGAIN! Usually, after a couple of Diet Mountain Dews I catch my stride but not yesterday. I resigned myself to the fact that it was just going to be "one of those days."

I made it through the day at the school where I am student teaching and rushed out to the parking lot to hurry home before Will got off the bus. My car was covered in snow...ugh...and I almost slipped about a dozen times while trying to clean it off. Usually, Will's transportation van brings him home at 3:30 and with how slow traffic was moving due to the snow-covered roads, I was just going to make it home in time. Exhale!

I arrived home to find that my adorable 1-year old puppy had chewed up a couch cushion leaving white fluff all over my house! The day was just getting better and better.

3:30 came and went with no sign of the van. I figured snow was slowing them down too, but I was still getting nervous. Finally, at 4:00 my little man arrived home safely and I knew we had to hurry to pick up his sister at preschool. Without even letting him take his coat off, I rushed Will through the house and out the back door to get in the car. The snow was really coming down as I shuffled my way into Jessica's school. I gathered up Jessica and her rushed her out to the car.

The evening came and went and it was finally bed time for the squirts. Right before bed Bill said to me: "where's David?" David is Jessica's stuffed dragon. She sleeps with him EVERY night, takes him to school, takes him in the car...you get the point. She says he is her best friend and she LOVES him dearly. He goes everywhere that she goes. I looked at Bill and in an instant I knew - David was still at school in Jessica's cubby. I hadn't grabbed him! We both knew this was going to be bad.

As if on cue, Jessica says: "Daddy, where's David?" I tried to explain to her that David was at school in her cubby. She started crying. We tried to console her but she kept saying: "But David will be so scared." My heart was breaking. Nothing would console her. We got her in bed, tears still flowing, and Bill said goodnight giving me a good luck look. I laid there with her trying to comfort her but she was heartbroken and so was I. I told her Mommy was sorry for leaving David at school - and to make me feel even worse she said: "It's o.k. Mommy. I love you."

An eternity passed - or so it felt - and the bedroom door slowly opened. Bill walked in holding David. I have never seen such absolute relief and joy on a child's face as I saw at that moment. Daddy had saved the day. Bill had gotten in the car and driven to the school hoping to convince a janitor to let him in. He had knocked and knocked and waited and waited until a nice woman came walking out the door carrying trash. He explained his problem and she said she would go look for David.

Long story short -- too late, I know -- my horrible day had the most amazing ending. All little girls should be so lucky as to have a Daddy as wonderful as my husband. He would do anything for his little girl even if it meant standing in the freezing snow pounding on a school door just to get a stuffed animal. He truly saved the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment