Sunday, May 16, 2010

Forgiveness

Resentment or grudges do no harm to the person against whom you hold these feelings but every day and every night of your life, they are eating at you (Norman Vincent Peale)

As I've blogged before, I am a very passionate person. I feel all emotions with an intensity that is, at times, almost overwhelming. Hurt and anger, are no exceptions. I have worked really hard at being the kind of person that can just let things roll right off of me, but there are times, justifiably so, when I can't keep these feelings at bay. Unfortunately this happened this week. You've already read my previous blog and some of you have sent some very nice messages of encouragement - thank you. I got my feelings hurt by someone I love - the details are not important. The point is...we have worked through it. The thing about "hurt" and "anger" is that if we don't allow ourselves to forgive the person who invoked these feelings, they will grow stronger and stronger until they consume us. Resentment is an ugly thing. Holding grudges is even uglier. Forgiveness is liberating because it allows us to truly release the hurt and anger that we feel.

I'm not saying that we should all be a bunch of push-overs and let others trample all over our feelings...quite the opposite. There are times when anger is warranted and so is an apology from the person who provoked you. But...once that sincere apology is received...LET...IT...GO! I try to live my life this way and I know that it benefits me just as much as the person I forgive:-) So, I don't feel deeply sad anymore - today I feel happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment