Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Malibu Barbie

Let me start off by saying that I am a life-long conservative Republican and so the comments that I am about to make about Sarah Palin have nothing to do with political affiliation. My opinions are not based on my allegiance to the political party but rather my allegiance to the "female" party.

When I went to the mailbox yesterday and saw my current issue of Newsweek I had to smile when I saw the picture of Sarah Palin gracing its cover. There she was in all her glory...proudly sporting her tight biking shorts. Great legs, I thought. If those were my legs I'd probably walk around in those shorts year-round. As a woman, I am not offended by Mrs. Palin utilizing her "assets" - good for her. I am not disgusted by the fact that she is a Mom and yet is proud of her sexuality. Again - good for her. But, and this is a big but, you can't have it both ways sweetie. I know this picture was originally shot for another magazine - not Newsweek, but she did pose for it. Her choice, but a choice nonetheless. Many of her critics have argued that she is just a glorified "fluff chick" (and not a very bright one to boot), and that she is only where she is politically, because of her looks. And how does she prove them wrong? By posing in pictures like this.

Again, I have no problem with this picture. I think she is a beautiful woman and if all she has is her looks - than by all means use them. But, if she ever wants to really be taken seriously, than she needs to present herself accordingly. You can't expect to be treated like Professional Barbie and dress like Malibu Barbie. It just doesn't work that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment