Monday, November 23, 2009

With a bah bah here and a bah bah there

My son recently decided that it is hilarious to listen to me make animal sounds. Since I am always eager to reward his attempts at communication, his request of: "mama, bah bah," is quickly rewarded with my best impersonation of a sheep (and yup, I do a pretty good bah bah). The problem is, Will doesn't just want me to do one sheep impersonation...he wants me to do one sheep, then 2 or 3 chickens, then a monkey, then a cow, then 3 or 4 horses...you get the point. His delight doesn't diminish. No problem - again, I aim to please - and besides, its just the two of us in the car on our long commute to and from school each day - perfect time for me to perfect my horse winnie. I think I would do just about anything to hear that child laugh because it is truly infectious. But what about when it isn't just the two of us? Time to get creative. This afternoon on our way home from Cleveland I was on the phone (and not with family or friends) and his little voice came from the back seat: "mama, buh buh." This means I am suppose to cluck like a chicken. I tried to ignore it. A little louder this time: "mama, buh buh!" For those of you who really know me, what do you think I did? That's right - I tried to cover the microphone on my cell and as quietly as possible, I did my best chicken impersonation. There was a slight pause on the other end of the line as the person tried to figure out what they just heard. I, of course, acted like nothing had happened and went right on with the conversation. So, if you happen to be on the phone with me in the near future and think you hear animals in the background, don't be alarmed, its just me, and no - I haven't lost my mind - I'm just doing my best to make my little man laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment